Skip to main content

New Graduate Student Orientation

Welcome New Graduate Students - Fall 2024

Register Now!

Please register for your orientation session below. Orientation sessions are campus specific so only register for your primary campus. Your login information is what you used for your application. 

Biltmore Park

August 13, 2024
6pm - 8pm


Biltmore Park


In-person event
28 Schenck Pkwy, Asheville, NC 28803


August 14, 2024
6pm - 7pm


online course


Virtual event


August 15, 2024
4pm - 6pm


campus plaza


In-person event
245 Memorial Dr, Cullowhee, NC 28723


If you missed or could not attend your in-person/virtual orientation, you can watch pre-recorded videos to get up to speed! Please note that these pre-recorded videos are organized by campus and reference past semesters (information is still relevant).

Recordings of Spring 2024 Orientation sessions are below:


MORE WCU Graduate School Orientations


New Graduate Student FAQs

How do I know about the decision on my admission?

You will receive an email with instructions on how to log-in to view your application decision. Be sure to read the letter carefully and follow all instructions.

How do I find my admission letter?

If you receive an offer for admission and accept it, you will receive your official admission confirmation via email. We do not mail print copies, although we encourage you to print or save this email for your records (or post on your refrigerator!).

How do I know who my advisor is?

Your admission confirmation letter will include your advisor’s name. You can arrange an appointment with your advisor in the Academic Success section of myWCU. Contact information for your advisor can be found in the Faculty/Staff Directory.

How do I know my Student ID number?

This will be included in your admission confirmation letter. (This is also called a 92 number.) Be sure to include your Student ID number in any email you send the Graduate School so we can easily locate your records.

What if my plans change, and I am unable to attend for the term I applied for?

You MUST contact the Graduate School to request a deferral. Failing to do so WILL result in deactivation of your student record, and you will have to reapply and pay the application fee. Deferral WILL require program approval and are only for accepted students.

What is myWCU?

myWCU is a secure portal for applicants, students, faculty and staff designed to make accomplishing tasks and finding information easier. myWCU allows you to register for classes, review class schedules, check grades, view financial aid information, and pay account balances. myWCU is located at or from the Western Carolina University home page, under Quick Links

What if I have a registration hold on my student record?

If you have a hold, you will see a notice at the top of the page when you log-in to myWCU. You’ll be informed about the type of hold and how to resolve it. 

Common Holds:

  • Official Transcript Hold: The Graduate School has not recieved your official transcript yet. This will create a hold on your account until we receive one. Official transcripts must be sent to Details about this hold are in your admission letter.
  • Immunization Hold: Please contact Health Services about this hold. 

How do I know what classes to take?

Your program advisor can give you information on your plan of study and what classes you should register for.

How do I find the schedule of classes?

You can find the schedule of classes in three ways: You can find it on the left hand menu of the homepage of myWCU, or on the Registrar’s web page, or on the Graduate School’s web page.

When do I register for classes?

You should register for classes as soon as you can after registration opens for the term. You can find registration dates on the Registrar's web page. Typically, fall and summer registration opens around the end of February. Spring registration opens around the end of October.

How do I register for classes?

You will find registration in the “Classes and Registration” section of the left hand menu on myWCU. The Registrar’s page has useful information on the registration process.

When do I pay?

Tuition and fees are not due until the first day of the term. Some programs require a deposit to hold your seat. Check your admission letter for this information.

How much does it cost to attend Graduate School?

Please refer to the Tuition and Fees web page for costs associated with your program of study

How do I apply for financial aid?

Information about how to apply for financial aid and scholarships is available online. 

Are there other forms of financial assistance available?

Please monitor the Graduate School web page for other sources of financial assistance that may be available.

Individual programs may also have financial assistance or graduate assistantships available - check with your advisor or graduate program director.

What happens if my in-state/ out of state residency changes?

The Graduate School has no control over in-state tuition or residency. Residency is determined by the Residency Determination System (RDS).

If you have questions about changing your residency, please contact the Registrar's Office at 828.227.7216. 

Office of Web Services